Related ministers and contacts
The Hon Kevin Andrews MP
Minister for Defence
14 September 2015
Seven Australian organisations will receive Australian Government funding of $14.2 million to develop and demonstrate innovative technologies that can enhance defence capability.
The funding is made available under the Capability and Demonstrator Program managed by the Defence Science and Technology Group.
Seven technology proposals from Australian companies, universities and science organisations have been selected this year to demonstrate possible defence application.
These proposals have the potential to advance Defence capability, produce innovative products for Defence and civilian use, and stimulate Australian industry growth.
This year’s successful proposals include:
- a low profile body armour for better soldier protection;
- a miniaturised wide-band, low-noise radio frequency antenna;
- mobile x-ray imagers for use during field deployments and detecting improvised explosive devices;
- a stealthy unmanned surface vessel to track submarines and torpedoes;
- a tactile flight display that improves helicopter safety in poor visibility and threat environments;
- technology to securely transmit three-dimensional geospatial data to ships at sea; and
- a low-cost, high-G centrifuge for simulators used in pilot training.
The successful proposals were submitted by Armor Composite Engineering, CSIRO, Micro-X Pty Ltd, Ocius Technology, University of Canberra, the Bureau of Meteorology and Deakin University.
I congratulate all those involved in putting forward proposals and supporting innovative research and development for defence applications.
Since the Capability and Technology Demonstrator Program began, Defence has invested $270 million in 118 projects, half of them proposed by small-to-medium enterprises.
Of these, 104 projects have successfully demonstrated the feasibility of their technologies.
These are very good results for high risk research and development projects that benefit Defence and Australian industry.
Chloe Petch (Minister Andrews’ Office) 0477 395 356
Defence Media Operations 02 6127 1999
Other related releases
Joint Media Release - New Zealand Minister of Defence and Minister for Defence - Ministers re-affirm Defence relations
Minister for Defence - Australia-New Zealand Defence Ministers Meeting
Minister for Defence - Government invests $14 million in Defence technology
Minister for Defence - Construction begins on $157m project at HMAS Albatross
Prime Minister and Minister for Defence - Australia to extend air operations against Daesh into Syria