- Oversight of all aspects of the Defence portfolio
- Defence Budget
- Defence Reform and Enterprise Management
- Strategic Policy
- International Policy and Engagement
- Australian Signals Directorate
- ADF Operations
- Defence Planning Guidance
- The Integrated Investment Program
- Force Structure Review
- Development of capability requirements
- Capability/cost trade off during capability lifecycle
- People, Equipment and Readiness
- Force Posture, including USFPI and ASMTI
- Science and Technology policy and support to capability and operations
- Defence Security and Vetting Policy
- Estate and Infrastructure Policy
- Defence Information and Communication Technology
Minister for Defence
May 2019 – March 2021
Linda Reynolds was sworn in as the Minister for Defence on 29 May 2019. Linda served for 29 years in the Australian Army as a Reserve Officer in a wide range of part and full time appointments. She was the first woman in the Australian ArmyReserves to be promoted to the rank of Brigadier and was awarded the Conspicuous Service Cross.
On 2 March 2019, Linda was sworn in as Minister for Defence Industry and the Minister for Emergency Management and North Queensland Recovery in the Morrison Coalition Government. This follows her appointment as Assistant Minister for Home Affairs on 28 August 2018.
Before her Ministerial appointment, Linda was a member of nine Parliamentary committees. During the 45th parliament she chaired the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters, the Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Legislative Committee and the Defence Sub-Committee of the Joint Standing Foreign Affairs Defence and Trade committee.
Linda is a passionate advocate for WA Industry including defence, space and rare earths sectors. Senator Reynolds is also a supporter of innovation, gender equality and federation reform. She is proud to work closely with both the Australian Strategic Policy Institute and the Perth USAsia Centre.
Linda was elected to the Australian Senate in 2014 and re-elected in 2016 and 2019.
In the news
ADF establishes Operation NSW Flood Assist
Cairns businesses to build new Army watercraft
Morrison Government equipping Navy with cutting edge intelligence capability
ADF supporting NSW flood emergency