The Parliamentary Secretary for Defence, Senator David Feeney, today reminded the public that submissions for the Defence Honours and Awards Appeals Tribunal Victoria Cross Inquiry will close shortly.
The Inquiry will consider unresolved recognition for past acts of naval and military gallantry and valour.
“There has been a good response to date from all areas of the ex-serving community and others,” Senator Feeney said.
“But I want to remind those who have not yet provided a submission to the Tribunal that there is still time.”
The Inquiry will consider the following 13 former naval and military personnel:
- Gunner Albert Neil (Neale) Cleary – Army (East Geelong, VIC)
- Midshipman Robert Ian Davies – Navy (Greenwich, Sydney, NSW)
- Leading Cook Francis Bassett Emms – Navy (Launceston, TAS)
- Lieutenant David John Hamer – Navy (Melbourne, VIC)
- Private John Simpson Kirkpatrick – Army (Shield, County Durham, UK.)
- Lieutenant Commander Robert William Rankin – Navy (Cobar, NSW)
- Able Seaman Dalmorton Joseph Owendale Rudd – Navy (Sydney, NSW)
- Ordinary Seaman Edward Sheean – Navy (Barrington, Devonport, TAS)
- Leading Aircrewman Noel Ervin Shipp – Navy (Julia Creek, North QLD)
- Lieutenant Commander Francis Edward Smith – Navy (Lismore, NSW)
- Lieutenant Commander Henry Hugh Gordon Dacre Stoker – Navy (Dublin, Ireland)
- Leading Seaman Ronald Taylor – Navy (Carlton, VIC)
- Captain Hector Macdonald Laws Waller – Navy (Benalla, VIC)
The Tribunal is also receiving submissions from interested members of the public for other Defence Force members who they consider are worthy of appropriate recognition for an act of gallantry or valour.
“It is important that these submissions are supported by appropriate documentation, not just anecdotal evidence,” Senator Feeney said.
Submissions to the Inquiry close on 30 June 2011.
The terms of reference for the inquiry and a guide about making a submission is at:
The Tribunal can be contacted at:
Defence Honours and Awards Appeals Tribuna
Locked Bag 7765
CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
or via e-mail to DHA.Tribunal [at] defence.gov.au
Lorna Clarke – 0408 345 730