Related ministers and contacts
The Hon Matt Thistlethwaite MP
Assistant Minister for Defence
Assistant Minister for Veterans’ Affairs
Assistant Minister for the Republic
Ben Leeson: 0404 648 275
4 October 2022
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is rolling out a range of purpose-designed equipment to better serve the needs of individual ADF members and improve combatant effectiveness in the field.
The new equipment, being introduced by the Fit to Perform project, includes helmets, boots, packs, uniforms, sleeping bags, body armour and medical kits.
New military equipment currently available includes:
- women’s and unisex combat boots, with improved shape and better weight distribution to help reduce the potential for injuries in operations and training;
- smaller-sized sleeping bags that are lighter and require less space;
- protective undergarment for women to prevent breast tissue injuries; and
- an interchangeable helmet harness to accommodate longer hairstyles.
Equipment ready to be introduced, or under development, includes:
- a smaller-sized combat helmet;
- new Australian Multi-Cam Uniforms designed for women;
- smaller field packs better suited to smaller frames;
- combat body armour to accommodate different body types;
- a field hygiene pouch that assists with the carriage of toiletries including a personal female field device; and
- a new medical pack for medics.
Diggerworks, part of Defence’s Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, is leading the Fit to Perform project, working in collaboration with Defence partners, including the Defence Science and Technology Group and Australian industry.
Quotes attributable to Assistant Minister for Defence, the Hon Matt Thistlethwaite MP:
“Defence is using innovation to solve materiel challenges.
“The new product designs were based on feedback from serving men and women and have passed rigorous field and lab testing.
“User feedback and recommendations informed a range of prototypes that were trialled and tested across Army, Navy and Air Force.
“The growing range of new innovative products will support an advanced force for success on the battlefield.”
Other related releases
Delivering on our commitment to keep Australians safe
Joint media release - Support to OPCW investigation mandate