Over 900 soldiers returning from operations in Afghanistan have been publicly recognised by their family, friends and colleagues during an official welcome home parade in Brisbane on Saturday, 21 July 2012.
The Gallipoli Barracks parade acknowledged the hard work and dedication shown by Australian Defence members attached to Mentoring Task Force 4 and Force Communications Unit 6.
The Parliamentary Secretary for Defence, Dr Mike Kelly, praised the valuable work conducted by the soldiers and their important contribution to the Australian effort in the Middle East.
“The work our soldiers conduct is highly respected by the Government and the Australian people,” Dr Kelly said.
“Today is a chance for that work to be recognised and for us to show our appreciation for their continued dedication and commitment.”
Chief of Army, Lieutenant General David Morrison, said the parade was a fitting way for families and friends to pay tribute to the soldiers and congratulated them on a successful tour of duty in the Middle East Area of Operations.
This parade is an opportunity to acknowledge the commitment of our serving men and women and offers a chance to celebrate our successes with loved ones, whose continued support enables our soldiers to perform their duties at the highest level.
Mentoring Task Force 4 and supporting operational elements were mounted by 8th/9th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment and comprised approximately 800 personnel. Force Communications Unit 6, mounted by 1st Signal Regiment, comprised approximately 100 personnel.
The soldiers commenced their deployment in January this year and completed their operational service last month, when they handed over responsibility for Uruzgan province to the 3RAR Task Group.
Dr Mike Kelly, Parliamentary Secretary for Defence, Major General Rick Burr, Commander 1st Division and Brigadier Greg Bilton, Commander 7th Brigade attended the parade.
Captain Maggie Nichols, Public Affairs Officer, Forces Command (02) 8335 6544 or 0417 705 938