Minister for Defence Stephen Smith and Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare today announced the Independent Project Performance Office would begin operating from 1 July.
The establishment of an Independent Project Performance Office (IPPO) was a recommendation of the Mortimer Review into Defence Procurement and Sustainment.
On 6 May, Mr Smith and Mr Clare announced they had asked Defence to accelerate the implementation of the agreed recommendations of the Mortimer Review as a matter of priority.
The establishment of the IPPO implements one of the key outstanding recommendations of the Mortimer Review.
The IPPO will be established within the Defence Materiel Organisation and will:
- Conduct annual full diagnostic reviews (Gate Reviews) of all major Defence capital acquisition projects;
- Implement the new Early Indicator and Warning system announced by Mr Smith and Mr Clare on 6 May;
- Implement the reforms announced today to the Project of Concern process and oversee the remediation of all Projects of Concern;
- Implement a ‘lessons learned’ process as recommended by the Mortimer Review to improve the way projects are delivered by learning from past mistakes and successes; and
- Assist project teams to develop more robust cost and schedule information to improve the accuracy of this information when it is provided to the Government.
An additional 14 independent experts with significant project management and commercial experience will be contracted by Defence to act as board members on Gate Reviews.
This will ensure there are at least two external members on every significant Gate Review board.
Mr Smith’s Office: Andrew Porter 0419 474 392
Mr Clare’s Office: Korena Flanagan 0418 251 316
Departmental : (02) 6127 1999